
Geoff Nicholson writes a piece about his mothers traditions and her favorite lunch in order to commemorate his mother. Nicholson uses detail about the bread and cheese and even the way his mother used to eat her lunch in order to pull out his personal significance to the piece. He writes a memoir about food in order to help relate his emotions back to his mother. When I took this memior into a cultural perspective, I thought about the cheese and his mothers reactions and appreciation for simplicity. Roy Ahn tells his story with a more cultural background. He talks about an authentic "hole-in-the-wall" restaurant where he expects to be around friends of his similar decent. Ahn describes the very spices and techniques of the restaurant in order to really bring out his cultural for the audience reading this article. He also relates his meal back with his father on a more personal level when he takes us back to his experiences at home in Korea.

When I think about my attachments to food, I don't see myself anything like this. I pretty much love everything you put in front of me as I was rather large my entire childhood. Unlike both Nicholson and Ahn, I don't take the time to think about where my food has come from, who it reminds me of or why I'm even eating it; i just eat and go.
No comments:
Post a Comment