Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Dinner at Elway's



Eighteen years in New York City has allowed me to experience an extremely wide variety of dining in so many different cultural environments. Personally, I’ve always been interested with the distinctive changes in a person’s value and behaviors based from the culture that surrounds them.  Just the other day I went downtown with my dad, a couple of his co-works and a few interns to an expensive steakhouse called Elway’s. As soon as I walked in, I noticed the red carpet below me and to the right was a wall of wine that could have exceeded the value of my own home. Before I had time to blink, the host grabbed our attention and began walking us back to the private dining room in the back. The eight of us sat down and got settled. 

            We sat at a rectangular table with a soft white tablecloth and more silverware and glasses than I could count on my fingers. To my left was a fancy circular glass bar with one bartender dressed in all black accompanied by a sushi chef ready to take orders. We all sat down; I sat to the left of my dad who was on the end and to his right was his co-worker, Jamie. To my right was Steve, a junior annalist who couldn’t have been more than twenty-five and four other guys about the same age.  Everyone picked up a menu and began to chat a little bit. I opened the menu and made it to the first line in the top left corner of the page before my jaw dropped.  Appetizer’s ranged from twelve dollars to forty-one dollars. Some of these plates ranged from something so simple as a grilled artichoke to their Ultimate Hot Appetizer Platter including lamb chop mini bites, coconut battered shrimp and New England style clams.  I took a break from the menu for a second and looked around. These waiters and waitresses were no older than their early twenties and they all played this act like they worked for the president.  I understand this was a nice restaurant but it almost seemed that everyone around me, not just these waiters and waitresses, were completely different people in another society. Of coarse I notice the change in my dad; he always becomes serious and stern in nice restaurants or when we get together for something important, and the tone of his voice drops significantly. Listening to them dabble about annual reports, I couldn’t help but loose interest in the conversation.  But what I noticed was  “how interested” these interns where in what he had to say. My best guess was that it was the that chilled salad fork that just simply intimidated them, and made this whole dinner feel more important.  Aside from the three separate forks on the right, there were additionally three knives for butter, steak and your regular cutting needs on the left. Above my plate, there were two spoons in between my water and my wine glass. It all became a little bit over whelming when it was time to eat; I felt like I was just being judged from where I was and I hated the feeling.
            After taking everything in, I ordered my appetizer and started to look through my choices for dinner.  I settled for the cheapest entrée at $45 before I even realized that sides came separately, even French fries were an additional six dollars. After we all ordered, I was pretty much shut out of the conversation so I sat there and jotted these notes with just an awkward gaze in my eyes.  The dinner was noticeably focused on more important things than food. It was used as a point of interest to attract and raise the expectations of some of these new employees.  Our food came out and that’s when I wanted to leave. The food was great; that’s not what I mean but for $45 I wanted a lot more. I wasn’t hear to get a job or even work up a salary, I was in it for the meal and that was taken away from me in the three minutes that it took me to finish it. 
            Everyone carried on and enjoyed their meal before we left about an hour later. I got back to my house and started to gather all the notes I awkwardly jotted down at dinner. I got on Google and loaded the ten most successful tips for any business dinner and there it was. It was pretty evident to me that restaurants are more than a simple way to feed yourself but regularly used as a means of communication in a more specifically identified culture that a business or any individual might be relying to portray.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with the politics point you brought in that some resaurant are used as a way of showing off the company's power and prestige to the employees. Sometimes it seems words and political actions are much more deadly and cunning than sword fights. not knowing with silverware to use or messing up other formal table manners at a dinner like this can make ou seem very incompetent and ignorant when really table manners have no reflection on how capable you are as a person.

    ReplyDelete