Sunday, April 15, 2012

Food in the Community


In both communities I found that food played opposite roles between Cate and Horwitz. Cate’s article discussed prison eating conditions and the diligence that truly goes into it. She describes food by a simple role of what’s basically available to prisoner’s access. One descriptive term that I noticed really hammering down Cate’s point was when she explained inmates “simply putting something together, pretty much anything, beef sticks or even chips and just blending them together.  What I found particular interesting about this article was on pages 4 and 5 when Cate describes the variety of spreads these inmates have discovered. A few examples that I liked were when she talked about Alexander’s nacho spread or “inmate Max Hackett’s Asian Sweet and Sour spread.
After reading Horwitz’ article I noticed that food is more directly surrounded by an on the go environment, not spending as much time, sharing with family or friends. She explains food in correlation among location, eating occasion and food available. In relation to Cate’s article both of these authors project an opposite style of eating while one community takes time to prepare, shares with one another while the other group surrounds them self by convenience and even their mood. What I really thought was interesting about Horwitz’ article was on the bottom of page one.  I was a little shocked when I realized soup was served in thousands of varieties in single serving to go packets, silverware free. This was particular interesting to me because I love to watch the competitive markets produce more and more amazing and convenient products for quick consumers like myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment