Monday, April 2, 2012

Analyzing Advertisment


The first connection that Freedman and Jurafsky immediately make is between food and cultures including native languages and others style of living. The author refers to “Regional accents” and language differences as means of markers to identify local affiliations and socioeconomic class. Additionally, both Freedman and Jurafsky make a particular strong connection between food and its corporations advertisements appealing to particular audiences using persuasive language.

What I found most interesting about their analysis for potato chip advertising was their example on page four about the comparison between complex and simple text used to advertise their products. Aside from applying Freedman and Jurafsky’s method towards food, another point that Freedman and Jurafsky made that I found interesting was that healthier chips advertise health six times more than the less expensive chips. I really enjoyed their entire argument about the wording these companies are using to advertise their products because I can similarly compare many of their same techniques to many other industries all around the world.

I could imagine the same techniques being used trying to analyze clothing designers and more commonly alcohol advertisement towards social and economic class to further understand the larger corporations advertisement intentions. After reading this article I would have to assume that clothing lines like Calvin Klein and other private designers (similar to low and high quality breweries) use more complex and sophisticated advertisement techniques that appeal to a higher social and economic class of people. Comparing this idea to commercial advertisement from corporations like target who probably use less words and more simple tactic to reach out to a larger audience closer around the middle and lower class.


1 comment:

  1. I also really liked the wording point they had, and your examples are perfect for showing it! it makes me more self-concious about what i am buying in the store.

    ReplyDelete