Tuesday, May 1, 2012

"Carbophobia"



In Pollan’s article about our nations Eating Disorder he firmly addresses many issues that are prevalent to Americans diets today. One idea that Pollan mentioned that particular interested me was his idea behind “Carbophobia”. He notes the simple fact that some of these important carbs are beginning to vanish in American cultures. He also begins to address the worry that many people take from these rich carbohydrates like bread, pasta and rice. In my opinion, Pollan addresses the problem to be that Americans are trying to be overly healthy but in turn are really only adding harm to their bodies. The most interesting comparison that I noticed in this article was about portions in other cultures. From my own knowledge’s and experiences I can share first hand the difference I immediately notice within different food cultures all over the world.
When I think about my next meal, it is mainly condoned on my mood, schedule and availability to what’s around me. As a student, my time is limited and I’m always looking for a shortcuts. The problem with taking shortcuts is that you miss the nutrition of your meal and replace it with the satisfaction of a quick bite to eat. As an American, I feel that many others and myself think about their diets from what was eaten the day before and how you may add or give up something to counteract another days diet. 

2 comments:

  1. I love the cartoon, it fits so well! interesting that you say excluding carbs could be unhealthy in way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, great comic. Good attention to portion size, too.

    ReplyDelete