Stilton,
Roquefort, Gorgonzola, and Danablu are some of the best bleu cheeses in the world;
they are known for their ‘tang’ and distinguished taste. I recently cooked up
one of my homemade favorites, which evolves a simple chicken breast, blue
cheese, and a few other ingredients. To begin the process of marinating the
chicken breast, vital ingredients are key; balsamic vinegar, garlic, sautéed
onions, melted butter, finished with the perfect blend of sweet and spicy glaze
over a bed of tomatoes will produce the perfectly seasoned chicken breast. The
marinating process of any meat is crucial for the moist and tender result that
everyone desires. After finding the fantastic blend of a few pantry
ingredients, I discovered the power of a well-selected bleu cheese that can
compliment any meat or poultry. Bleu cheese has become my personal favorite, to
add the subtle, yet rich components to the marinated chicken that works exquisitely.
Roquefort cheese is one of the world’s oldest known cheeses; it derives from
sheep’s milk. It is said that Roquefort was Charlemagne, king of the franks and
emperor to the romans favorite cheese (personally my own favorite at well).
Roquefort-sur-Soulzon was a village
from centuries past, in the year of 1411. Roquefort can be described as white,
tangy, crumbly yet slightly moist, with distinctive veins of green mold. It has
characteristic odor and flavor with a notable taste of butyric acid; the green
veins provide a sharp tang. The overall flavor sensation begins slightly mild,
then waxes sweet, then smoky, and fades to a salty finish. Roquefort is still
known as one of the oldest cheeses today and remains to be unique (Roquefort
Cheese, 2). Authentic Roquefort cheese is widely produced around the world, but
very interestingly still requires the special humid Limestone’s in the caves of
Roquefort near Toulouse in southern France. I slowly came to learn how
complicated the production of Roquefort cheese really is. First you must find
the Ewe’s (bred in the Neolithic times) that produce the extremely rich milk.
An ewe has a little flat had, a shabby coat of wool and narrow shoulders. Remarkably noticed; Ewes can produce up to thirty-five
gallons of milk a season, requiring the minimum of 800,000 Ewes to keep the
Roquefort Industry alive alone (Wernick, 4).
A critical ingredient for the production of Roquefort cheese is
Penicillium, still grown similar to those ways of the prehistoric times by
putting bread in fluorine. After a long aging followed by a diligent roasting
process, “cheese spores” are woven and ready to be produced into cheese.
Wernick first hand experienced the unique process in which Roquefort cheese is
made. He explained, “These spores are collected, dried, pounded, strained
through a mesh of stainless fibers so tightly woven that you cannot see the sun
through them, and then they are ready for the cheese. About a quarter to a
half-pound of spores will service two tons of milk. The servicing is done at
dairies scattered throughout the sheep-growing region, where milk is delivered
from the farms every day. The milk is strained through cotton mesh to keep out
impurities, and gently heated to a temperature of 86 degrees F. Drained of
excess liquid, it is poured into molds which form it into flattened cylinders
about four inches by eight across. As it is poured, a minute quantity of
Penicillium is mixed in – "by hand," (Wernick, 6)
After a lot of this research I’ve
learned quite a bit about one of my favorite foods, which I realized I know
absolutely nothing about. I have discovered the multitude of varieties that
exist within the bleu cheese umbrella. After reading several sources
discovering the aging process and care of such particular cheese simply amazes
me and still particularly interest me into something I would love to know even
more about. I have a newfound appreciation for the topping although I don’t
know how much it could really change in my life. A couple things that I will
always think about though is the time and travel that such a small ingredient
could take until it lands to any local grocery store even in the United
States. I love every variety of blue
cheese and it would not be putting it lightly to say that I find a way to enjoy
in at least one meal every day.

No comments:
Post a Comment