Breaking Down the
Media’s Healthy Food Illusion
The media
plays a big part in our perceptions of what food is healthy and they help shape
the eating habits we form. Every time I turn on the TV I see a new commercial
about a new great tasting healthy product. But so often it’s hard to tell
whether the product is legitimately healthy or if they are just trying to reach
that demographic. Between all the ads for healthy desserts, diet foods at taco
bells, and healthy flavored water, it can be hard to see which foods are truly
healthy through the wall of commercial advertisements. This blurring of what is
and isn’t healthy may be contributing to our obesity problem we have at hand.
According
to an International Food Information Council Foundations Food and Healthy
Survey in 2010, nearly three quarters (about 70%) of people worldwide have
admittedly indicated their concern for their own weight. At an even higher ratio,
77% of Americans have indicated their concern to maintain or loose more
weight. These statistics are both
shocking numbers, and it’s important that we identify the cause (Roberts). When my own food values or values of others
come to mind, the first thing I can think about is the media (news,
commercials, scientists, religion) and many more advertisements that we
consumers see every day. In today’s
society, many of American citizens are choosing which meals to consume based on
what they are told by the media.
Many fast
food chain corporations will advertise their new “healthy choice” products
influencing public opinion when in reality, these choices are packed with fat,
trans-fat, and many unhealthy preservatives.
In my opinion, I can single myself out to this big idea behind the media
and its marketing attempts to reach out to students like myself. Choices become
even more difficult for me living the fast paced college lifestyle, and I definitely
feel like turning to the media and common commercials for the “right choice”
has become the easiest, but not the most “reliable” source. Considering the tight
financial position most Americans are in, including myself, it has become almost
impossible for most consumers to maintain a completely healthy lifestyle. The
media knows were looking for answers on what is healthy and they continue to
exploit that using rhetorical advertisements to target this massive audience.
One of the
ways media impacted both me and my family was the classic argument between
butter and margarine. I remember when I was kid skinny angels would float
around in the heavens with a gift from God. The gift was “I cant believe its
not butter” margarine. My mom and I were always certain that margarine was a
godsend, because it was much healthier and a still tasty alternative to butter.
But it turns out we may have been deceived by depictions of the product in the
media. According to Harvard “the
truth is, there never was any good evidence that using margarine instead of
butter cut the chances of having a heart attack or developing heart disease.
Making the switch was a well-intentioned guess, given that margarine had less
saturated fat than butter, but it overlooked the dangers of trans fats.”
(Ferrari) So even though we may think we will get this angel physique
seen in the commercial by eating margarine, Ferrari says, “the older stick margarines
that are still widely sold are high in trans fats, and are worse for you than
butter. Some of the newer margarines that are low in saturated fat, high in
unsaturated fat, and free of trans fats are fine as long as you don’t use too
much (they are still rich in calories).”
I had no
idea this was true until just a few years ago. Like everyone else I bought into
this notion that margarine was healthy because the news and commercials were
telling us that it was. Ever since I realized the many deceptions of food in
the media, I have been cautious of letting commercials impact my diet. I have
been eating much healthier lately, but still occasionally I get sucked into
buying a “healthy” product that is not really as healthy as it claims. Now
however I am driven to research my eating decisions, help clean up my body, and
make healthier life style decisions that align with my goals and values.
However I
know the media is inescapable. We see it at bus stops, in magazines, on the
radio, and on TV, every piece of media is an argument to control our values on
food. These forces of the media often drive perceptions of many diets including
my own. The underlying messages of the majority of these advertisements are
exploiting the “healthy facts” in their product that in reality lack the key
components of a real nutritious diet. This is why researching what I eat us
crucial. The media has effectively produced a worldwide market of advertising
that has completely controlled my diet for the last five years due to the
important underlying emotions of living a healthy lifestyle. Like Pollan
mentioned in one of his most popular articles, “unhappy meals”, he explains the
danger of these foods that are constantly being advertised by their health
promotions such as low in saturated fats or “all natural” ingredients. (Pollan)
Pollan explains,
“It was in the 1980s that
food began disappearing from the American supermarket, gradually
to be replaced by “nutrients,” which are not the same thing. Where once the familiar names of recognizable
comestibles — things like eggs or breakfast cereal or cookies — claimed pride of place on
the brightly colored packages crowding
the aisles, now new terms like “fiber”
and cholesterol and “saturated fat” rose to large- type prominence” (Pollan).
Kids
think that these meals are happy, full of nutrients, and full balanced meal,
but they are not, it is all a deception. Thin kids playing at McDonalds put an
image of health in our heads. Another great example of a “healthy” food being debunked
was vitamin water. Emily Playscello states on Healthy Eating “Vitamin Water gives the
illusion of a healthy, hydrating, and rejuvenating miracle elixir. The bottles
are beautiful, colorful, and the text on them is snappy and clever. They have
empowering flavor names like "endurance," "energy,"
"essential," and "focus." There is no question that there
is some genius marketing at hand.” (Playscello) She goes on to argue
that in reality, they are just a step above soda. Most contain no juice, and
sugar is the second leading ingredient behind water.
Playscello
says, “Now, Vitamin Water is not pure poison. It is certainly not a health food
or something that I would personally drink, but if the choice is between
Vitamin Water or soda, I suppose Vitamin Water is a wiser choice. But you know
what the smartest choice is? Water.” Despite the claims in the media vitamin water
is not the tasty healthy alternative drink that we thought it was. It contains
high amounts of sugars that cause our bodies to crash. However tasty and
healthy drinks aren’t impossible to find, but their just not the drinks the
commercials are telling us about. Playscello concludes by saying that if you.
“want something sweet to drink? Try squeezing lemon or lime in pure or
sparkling water. Add a few drops of stevia and you've got a drink that
hydrates, tastes great, and isn't full of sugar or added nonsense.”
(Playscello)
I used to buy vitamin water quite
frequently, before I began reading through these articles and saw the deception
of health that they were trying to convince me of. It was not the real healthy product
they had claimed to create. Playscello and others helped me realize it was
nothing more than sugar water, and I now know researching food before we eat it
is of the utmost importance in maintaining health eating. Living on my own makes me more prone to the tricks of these advertisers. As a student “beauty” and appeal of these advertisements are only enhanced. I constantly find myself with almost no money, little time and in desperate need of a quick and “healthy” snack; that’s the problem. Similar to the common media, the news has only come out with more and more scientific studies every day that additionally control my diet as a whole. As a constantly busy college student, I find my self regularly relying on studies like these that I see on the news and a regular search on Google every now and than. One article that I actually came across from Google no more than a couple months ago was a “good mood diet.” The argument was convincing and concise. In two simple steps, Thomas Crook explains how to make a “good mood diet”, rather than an “unhappy meal,”
“Include protein in each of your
three meals. This will raise blood levels of tryptophan, a chemical that eventually turns into
serotonin. The best sources of tryptophan are poultry, seafood, and lean meat And Have a small carbohydrate snack
about 3 or 4 hours after each meal
and about 1 hour before your next one. Make sure that your stomach is empty and that you eat no protein between
meals. The carbohydrates should be easily digestible- such as one or two oatmeal cookies, a third of a
bagel, a slice of whole wheat bread. This will
cause tryptophan in your blood to enter the brain, where it is metabolized into serotonin. Elevated serotonin will
improve your mood within 20 to 30 minutes (Crook).”
Research
like this article, along with the other one cited above, are crucial to
deciphering the world of food constructed by the commercials around us. Because
food can alter our moods and health I am very cautious of what I eat now. I
often find myself researching just how truly hot and healthy is the new Carl’s
Jr. turkey burger held by the beautiful bombshell Miss. Turkey herself. I
investigate healthy alternatives, and more often than not I’m surprised by the
façade that these companies are able to put up.
Another
important aspect that ties into my daily food values becomes religious and
includes a strong sense of morality when I think my own diet. Trying to improve
my diet becomes difficult when I think about my key goals to a healthy
lifestyle. As a Christian, gluttony is an act of disrespect and more simply a
lack of respect for my own body as a person and the privileges we are all given
as human beings. In my own values, this just simply includes eating the right
fruits and vegetables, daily exercise and an honest effort to practice a
healthier lifestyle a little but more each and every day. Similar to the feelings of many consumers its
evident as Dupuis mentions in his Journal, Angels and Vegetables: A brief
History of Food Advice in America that “history of food advice in the United
States shows that the search for a perfect diet parallels a search for moral
authority.” Supported by some of his theories from the nineteenth century,
early New Englanders (Mormons) similarly based many of their food values from
religion. For example in the Book of
Mormon, smith received, “The World of Wisdom” a set of recommendations about
healthy living including abstinence from coffee, tea, and alcohol, and sparing
use of meat (Melanie Du
Puis).
I think
that God made my body as a temple, and that it something I need to treat right
and respect by eating healthy and exercising to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
This is why I think researching what I am actually eating is crucial. Companies
use unknown names to replace sugar and cover up sugar content, and like vitamin
water they end up in court for false advertisements. The point is marketers
have a job, I know that now when I watch TV, or see any advertisement, and I
take it with a grain of salt. I research what they claim, because what they say
is a healthy drink, I know can actually be just some sugar, water, and genius
advertising.
In
conclusion the only hope we have against the assault of advertisements put out
by big food conglomerates is the power of research, and act checking. Whenever
we hear on TV about a new great healthy snack, we need to think twice about the
motive behind the advertisement, and truly find a healthy snack, like grapes,
celery, or other fruits and vegetables, rather than cookies. Because of this I
now make sure that the food I eat align with my values on food. Eating healthy and
living an active life style is crucially important to me so I research
everything I eat. Whenever I see commercials on TV about healthy food, rather
than take it at face value I make sure to know if this food will help me be
active, or if will just be some junk food. Many food writers share my values in
trying to eat healthy and deciphering the commercial codes about food, so there
is plenty of research on what is healthy and not healthy to eat, I take
advantage of it, and so should everyone else.
No comments:
Post a Comment